Friday, July 2, 2010

Shakerag!

I am back from my trip to Shakerag in Sewanee TN. Wow...what a big event it all was for me, a semi-recluse. I am still processing and trying to catch up with the gardens, and laundry, and sleep!
I had a blast with Joei. And India Flint is amazing. Her work is absolutely gorgeous and the colors have to be experienced to truly appreciate their depth. The process of hunting for our dyestuffs and bundling them and cooking outdoors was just the kind of thing I love.
The campus at Shakerag (St. Andrew's Sewanee School) was a lovely setting for relaxing from daily life and was stimulating to the eye.

Our path from the studios towards food and rest.

 
Our dorm.
I love pergolas and this one had wisteria that had wonderful pods hanging down...
and a lovely fish pool.

I really enjoyed the flora and fauna, wild and domestic.





There was some nice scenery too.



I wish we had had more time to just explore, but we were busy...


gathering, stitching, laying down leaves...


wrapping and cooking bundles...

...admiring the the things we all made (the second photo is Joei's)...
And of course admiring India's work...


until it was time to leave.

I had a rough time with the felting of my piece, (the one part I was sure would be easy) so I was not happy with my project. But it was the process that was most important...and that was wonderful.


I have been looking at all the flora here in a new way since I got home and have already done some sampling with about 25 different plants...and learning what works and what doesn't.


Now off to experiment some more...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you so much for the pictures of the campus! Silly me only took fuzzzy pics of us in the dorm! HA! Your new pieces are fantastic. There is a wonderful article about India on The Textile Blog....go read!

    ReplyDelete