Thursday, January 21, 2010

Of Chickens and Felt, part two


Another part of my quest for the simple life was to get chickens. Since I was living in an expanding suburb/city and still working I could not jump 'whole hog' into homesteading. But having a garden, and raising chickens seemed like a good way to further my dream. Now, I probably would have just continued to dream but my daughter facilitated the acquisition of 9 Buff Orpington chicks.

I had researched the breed on the Homesteading Today forum and, yet again, learned all I could from the wonderful world wide web. These are duel purpose birds, good layers, nice disposition, winter hardy... all good things for the homestead right? Well what I did not expect was that I would fall in love with them. Who knew chickens were so entertaining and that they have individual personalities?

They free ranged in MY yard and unfortunately on the neighbors immaculate lawn as well. I forgave them, as the grass WAS greener on the other side, but I am not sure my neighbor was amused (though he never outwardly complained). Here they are hanging out on my front steps, hoping I will come out with a treat.

Due to other life changing circumstances I found it necessary to sell my home and move in with my Dad. I was not sure how Dad felt about taking in a cat, a few rabbits, and me, never mind a flock of chickens. Happily the people who bought the house loved the chickens and wanted to keep them.

It has been a couple of years since, and I missed having chickens. My daughter and I were talking about chickens one day this spring and before the conversation ended we had placed an order for 26 day old chicks (10 Cornish X broilers, 10 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Astrolorps, 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, and a Male and Female Golden Polish).

So January 2010 finds me living with my Dad in my old room, raising 14? chickens* and one cat, distance mothering my 3 grown children, and doing a lot of felting...and it is good!

*Although life was better before yesterday when I lost my Phyllis . This is the third time she went missing. The poor thing can't see too well with that feather hat so she spent much of her days searching for the other girls. I am not holding my breath that she will return this time as the neighborhood hawk has been hanging around our house lately.

1 comment:

  1. I think if she returns she may need a feather/haircut. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete